Trying My Best To Make Mike Costa Cry

Over the last 25 years the Transformers have appeared in media from the exquisite to the scribbled and been licensed to the responsible and the... Pat Lee. Discussion of all the branches of TF media within!

Moderators: Best First, spiderfrommars, IronHide

User avatar
bumblemusprime
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: GoboTron

Trying My Best To Make Mike Costa Cry

Post by bumblemusprime » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:40 am

Best First wrote:I didn't like it. They don't have mums, or dads, or children. And they turn into stuff. And they don't eat Monster Munch or watch Xena: Warrior Princess. Or do one big poo in the morning and another one in the afternoon. I bet they weren't even excited by and then subsequently disappointed by Star Wars Prequels. Or have a glass full of spare change near their beds. That they don't have.

User avatar
Optimus Prime Rib
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2215
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: College Station, TX
Contact:

Post by Optimus Prime Rib » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:59 am

good ****
Image
Shanti418 wrote:
Whoa. You know they're going to make Panthro play bass.

User avatar
Sunyavadin
Smart Mouthed Rodent
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:05 pm
:: Super Unvincible

Post by Sunyavadin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:52 am

Can't help but feel you'd achieve more by just kicking him directly in the balls.

User avatar
Kaylee
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 4071
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2000 12:00 am
:: More venomous than I appear
Location: Ashford, Kent, UK.
Contact:

Post by Kaylee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:41 am

Good review, Spence :) I'm so far out of the loop with TF comics I'm not actually sure what you're reviewing, but it sounds absolutely diabolical! Is this a TBP collection of some of the recent IDW stuff?

inflatable dalek
Help! I have a man for a head!
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:24 pm

Post by inflatable dalek » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:13 pm

The best way of making Mike Costa cry? Force him to read a Mike Costa comic. It works with me.
http://thesolarpool.weebly.com/transformation.html

TRANSFORMATION
An Issue By Issue Look At The Marvel UK Transformers Comic.

User avatar
bumblemusprime
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: GoboTron

Post by bumblemusprime » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:35 am

This is the first volume of our much-bemoaned ongoing. Thanks! I think I rushed the end of this a bit in a hurry to get it out the door, but otherwise s'all good.
Best First wrote:I didn't like it. They don't have mums, or dads, or children. And they turn into stuff. And they don't eat Monster Munch or watch Xena: Warrior Princess. Or do one big poo in the morning and another one in the afternoon. I bet they weren't even excited by and then subsequently disappointed by Star Wars Prequels. Or have a glass full of spare change near their beds. That they don't have.

Stormwolf
Back stabbing Seeker
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:48 pm
Location: The land of windmills and drugs.

Post by Stormwolf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:23 pm

That review is spot on, I wonder if they actually read these reviews and take notes...
Image

User avatar
Legion
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2739
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The road to nowhere

Post by Legion » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:03 am

unfortunately, i doubt it.

User avatar
bumblemusprime
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: GoboTron

Post by bumblemusprime » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:09 am

Hey guys, I just got a PM from Mike Costa!

Dear "Bumblemus Prime" (my idea first)

I don't think you understand the nuances of the complexities of the ILLUSION I am crafting. I don't think your teeny fanbrain can possibly understand. I have woven an imaginary world of whole cloth, onto which you ejaculate your childhood fantasies without my permission, and call it a "review."

You see, sir Bumblemus, the difference between us is that I am a REAL WRITER. I have planned a complex and highly intricate arc out for the next twenty years of Transformers. If you could see it you would understand exactly what I am doing now and why they story MUST be slow, boring, badly paced, full of lousy characters, and MUST make you want to take a miniature chainsaw to your left eye.

I have gone beyond all other TF writers by daring to create a deep, sensitive story. Trust me. I have Post-It notes that say "Character Motivation!" on my desk, partially buried under all my first drafts, which are just like my final drafts only longer and therefore better, and I have other Post-It notes that say "Read The Grapes of Wrath!" I read Of Mice and Men and liked it, but I've never been able to get into his "longish" stuff because, seriously, I spend so much time writing my longish stuff.

THE POINT IS, SIR. You will never understand that when Ishmael went into a bar, it was a sign that the book would endure for generations. If we apply this metaphor to my comic, Ishmael's still at the threshold of the bar. THAT'S HOW GOOD IT IS.

So stuff it,

Yours,

Michael Finkleberg Costa IIII
Best First wrote:I didn't like it. They don't have mums, or dads, or children. And they turn into stuff. And they don't eat Monster Munch or watch Xena: Warrior Princess. Or do one big poo in the morning and another one in the afternoon. I bet they weren't even excited by and then subsequently disappointed by Star Wars Prequels. Or have a glass full of spare change near their beds. That they don't have.

User avatar
Kaylee
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 4071
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2000 12:00 am
:: More venomous than I appear
Location: Ashford, Kent, UK.
Contact:

Post by Kaylee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:08 am

:lol:

mmm that's good satire!

Stormwolf
Back stabbing Seeker
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:48 pm
Location: The land of windmills and drugs.

Post by Stormwolf » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Great stuff 8)
Image

User avatar
bumblemusprime
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: GoboTron

Post by bumblemusprime » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:29 pm

What do you mean "satire?" You think I'd lie about getting this PM, or the follow-up, which reads:

Once again, I must take you to task. Because seriously, I never wanted to write giant robots fighting each other. That's not my thing. I started writing Transformers because I had this great, amazing idea: what if a heroic and stalwart hero just gives up? What if he gets all bored and gives in to another side and then sits around for six issues?

This, my sad, pathetic little fantard, is AMBITION.

Imagine if, in Othello, Othello hadn't killed Desdemona. (Thank you, Sparknotes. What's up with all those thees and thous? This is the problem with British Transformer fans too, by the way.) Othello wouldn't be giving up and getting bored with his wife, which is kind of the point of the play, like how Optimus gets tired of the Autobots (though I must confess I didn't get that far in SparkNotes. Does he really kill his wife? Should I have Optimus kill all the Autobots? I ask because WHATEVER YOU SAY I WILL NOT DO).

POINT: That's exactly why Optimus HAD to give up. I USE CAPITAL LETTERS TO EMPHASIZE THAT OPTIMUS AND OTHELLO ARE KIND OF THE SAME. In that same sense, I will now introduce a new black prime and call him "The Moor."

It'll be awesome.

[composite word including 'f*ck'] you, sir, and your silly "opinions."
Best First wrote:I didn't like it. They don't have mums, or dads, or children. And they turn into stuff. And they don't eat Monster Munch or watch Xena: Warrior Princess. Or do one big poo in the morning and another one in the afternoon. I bet they weren't even excited by and then subsequently disappointed by Star Wars Prequels. Or have a glass full of spare change near their beds. That they don't have.

User avatar
Pat Lee
Neo-Knight. You have our condolences
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:10 pm
Contact:

Post by Pat Lee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:39 pm

I would very much like to hire Mike- his out of the box thinking and amazing devotion to the dream remind me of the Best Days of Dreamwave.

I sincerely hope the misfortune that befell my dream doesn't consume his also. It's such a shame when you want to bring something so beautiful into the world and events just conspire against you.

Peace.
Image

User avatar
bumblemusprime
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: GoboTron

Post by bumblemusprime » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 am

Rock on the man Pat to the Lee!
Best First wrote:I didn't like it. They don't have mums, or dads, or children. And they turn into stuff. And they don't eat Monster Munch or watch Xena: Warrior Princess. Or do one big poo in the morning and another one in the afternoon. I bet they weren't even excited by and then subsequently disappointed by Star Wars Prequels. Or have a glass full of spare change near their beds. That they don't have.

User avatar
Impactor returns 2.0
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 6885
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2001 11:00 pm
:: Starlord
Location: Your Mums

Post by Impactor returns 2.0 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Pat! I've always wanted to tell you something....
Image

spiderfrommars
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Post by spiderfrommars » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm getting the impression that I must never ever buy this comic?

Yaya
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 3374
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:58 am
Location: Florida, USA

Post by Yaya » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Nice comic reviews. Pulled no punches.
"But the Costa story featuring Starscream? Fantastic! This guy is "The One", I just know it, just from these few pages. "--Yaya, who is never wrong.

User avatar
Darth Aux
Smart Mouthed Rodent
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Darth Aux » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:46 pm

bumblemusprime wrote:OPTIMUS AND OTHELLO ARE KIND OF THE SAME.
[/i]
How about Starscream as Lady Macbeth? Sunstreaker and a mirror as Romeo and Juliet?? ooh ooh what about Punch and Counter Punch as Romeo and Juliet^^
Image

Hook2
Decepticon Cannon Fodder
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Post by Hook2 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:18 pm

You know, reading the satire above, I really do think this is the attitude Costa has to us. Reading each issue of ongoing, there is the sense that he wants to straight flip you the bird if you dislike what he's done.

Like after all the griping about Spike and the amazing humans, he actually graduates to leading the autobots in issue 17. Or that we got untold pages of humans babbling in the new storyarc,( after fans complained about that for like a year already), just so we could not have enough pages for Prime and Megs big battle in issue 18!

I mean, Idw obviously knows that a lot of us dislike this kind of stuff, but they cram it in every month. We couldn't even get through the Megatron issue without three pages of humans first. Heck, we couldn't even get through Infestation without skywatch incapacitating freaking GALVATRON and Scourge! What the heck is going on over there!?

User avatar
Legion
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2739
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The road to nowhere

Post by Legion » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:38 am

Hook2 wrote:What the heck is going on over there!?
A massive amount of drugs?

Hook2
Decepticon Cannon Fodder
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Post by Hook2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Legion wrote:
Hook2 wrote:What the heck is going on over there!?
A massive amount of drugs?
Yeah. You'd HAVE to be on LSD to look at Don's last designs and say "heck yeah, put these in the book and we'll just tell everyone who thinks it looks like a horror movie that they aren't open monded enough!"

User avatar
Sunyavadin
Smart Mouthed Rodent
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:05 pm
:: Super Unvincible

Post by Sunyavadin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Legion wrote:
Hook2 wrote:What the heck is going on over there!?
A massive amount of drugs?
I keep hoping that I dropped some bad acid the day AHM #1 was announced, and am still in the middle of some crazily bad trip, and will eventually wake up in hospital to find Simon still writing the -ation arcs.

Hook2
Decepticon Cannon Fodder
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Post by Hook2 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:17 am

I love that someone over on the Idw boards posted a thread about Costa's narky little comment from the recent interview about "tf fans like outer space."

(Seriously, you can feel this guy's contempt for you.)

Anyway, over on the idw forums, this thread went up about how we don't necessarily hate earth stories, just total ***** earth stories and the League of Extraordinary Apologists immediately came out to protect the comment, which was clearly meant in a snide,degrading way.

Also, including Dj on these boards, it's been REALLY amusing to see big Andy squirm over there recently :lol:

DJ_Convoy
Back stabbing Seeker
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Mt. St. Hillary

Post by DJ_Convoy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Andy is the better man. He beat me, he really did. I thought I had him on the ropes, but he came back with a crushing blow and knocked me right off of the boards.

No problem- as soon as HoD is over, I'm back to being out, anyway.
For now, it seems like IDW wants my money.

Hook2
Decepticon Cannon Fodder
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Post by Hook2 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Andy did not "beat you". Because the battle was over whether or not Idw cares about Tfs fans. When Andy requested that you change your damn signature to keep posting over there he knew exactly what he was doing because you are obviously uncompromising in your views, and would therefore chose not to post instead.
Last edited by Hook2 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bumblemusprime
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: GoboTron

Post by bumblemusprime » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Hook2 wrote:Andy did not "beat you". Because the battle was over whether or not Idw cares about Tfs fans. When Andy requested that you change your damn signature to keep posting over there he knew exactly what he was doing because you are obviously uncompromising in your views, and would therefore chose not to post instead.

It was COWARDLY. Just like allowing 2 or three people to get away with derailing every thread that criticizes the pitiful state of their comics is COWARDLY.

(phew)
Do you need one of our resident computer whizzes to just block the IDW forums from your computer for a while? Because I had a girlfriend like this once...
Best First wrote:I didn't like it. They don't have mums, or dads, or children. And they turn into stuff. And they don't eat Monster Munch or watch Xena: Warrior Princess. Or do one big poo in the morning and another one in the afternoon. I bet they weren't even excited by and then subsequently disappointed by Star Wars Prequels. Or have a glass full of spare change near their beds. That they don't have.

DJ_Convoy
Back stabbing Seeker
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Mt. St. Hillary

Post by DJ_Convoy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:34 pm

I might.
For now, it seems like IDW wants my money.

Hook2
Decepticon Cannon Fodder
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Post by Hook2 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 pm

bumblemusprime wrote:
Hook2 wrote:Andy did not "beat you". Because the battle was over whether or not Idw cares about Tfs fans. When Andy requested that you change your damn signature to keep posting over there he knew exactly what he was doing because you are obviously uncompromising in your views, and would therefore chose not to post instead.

It was COWARDLY. Just like allowing 2 or three people to get away with derailing every thread that criticizes the pitiful state of their comics is COWARDLY.

(phew)
Do you need one of our resident computer whizzes to just block the IDW forums from your computer for a while? Because I had a girlfriend like this once...
Sorry, LOL.

Not trying to remind you of bad relationships :lol:

User avatar
bumblemusprime
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: GoboTron

Post by bumblemusprime » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:10 am

DJ_Convoy wrote:I might.
Or you could just ask our buddy Jack Cade how to get yourself banned. Although he's been in absence lately.
Best First wrote:I didn't like it. They don't have mums, or dads, or children. And they turn into stuff. And they don't eat Monster Munch or watch Xena: Warrior Princess. Or do one big poo in the morning and another one in the afternoon. I bet they weren't even excited by and then subsequently disappointed by Star Wars Prequels. Or have a glass full of spare change near their beds. That they don't have.

DJ_Convoy
Back stabbing Seeker
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Mt. St. Hillary

Post by DJ_Convoy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:20 pm

I banned myself. No need to go out in a blaze of "glory." :)
For now, it seems like IDW wants my money.

Post Reply