Return of the Su - Spotlight Jazz

News! About Transformers! Crazy! Post your TF news and rumours here for all the world (with the exception of certain rain forest tribes) to see. Please ensure that you read the guidelines before posting. Thanks.

Moderators: Best First, spiderfrommars, IronHide

Post Reply
User avatar
Brendocon
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 5299
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:00 pm
Location: UK

Return of the Su - Spotlight Jazz

Post by Brendocon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 am

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/11/a ... -jazz.html

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopi ... 115#103115
Ah, the suspense.

I'll go ahead and confirm a few things about this project.

It is indeed Spotlight Jazz.

And E.J. also will be doing the interiors.

As for who's writing it, I'm gonna hold onto that info for a bit longer...


Furmo and Shane O Mac have both hinted about upcoming Spotlights on their blogs. It being EJ makes me think Furman's likely. It being Jazz makes me think maybe McCarthy.
Grrr. Argh.

stranger
Got turned into the Spacebridge
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:08 am

Post by stranger » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:12 pm

I'd probably say McCarthy as well. Shame really, as I can't recall ever getting into Jazz's head in any comic, beyond what you'd know from his techspec. He's never been that interesting has he?

Why not give Roche another go? He's shown a bit of promise in what hes done so far...

Hound
Insane Decepticon Commander
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:00 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by Hound » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:46 pm

stranger wrote:I'd probably say McCarthy as well. Shame really, as I can't recall ever getting into Jazz's head in any comic, beyond what you'd know from his techspec. He's never been that interesting has he?

Why not give Roche another go? He's shown a bit of promise in what hes done so far...


I totally agree. The best Jazz comic moment is when Galvatron lobotomised him.

However, I thought Mcarthy wrote Jazz fairly well in the last AHM. It might work.
Image

stranger
Got turned into the Spacebridge
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:08 am

Post by stranger » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:39 am

Hound wrote:
stranger wrote:I'd probably say McCarthy as well. Shame really, as I can't recall ever getting into Jazz's head in any comic, beyond what you'd know from his techspec. He's never been that interesting has he?

Why not give Roche another go? He's shown a bit of promise in what hes done so far...


I totally agree. The best Jazz comic moment is when Galvatron lobotomised him.

However, I thought Mcarthy wrote Jazz fairly well in the last AHM. It might work.


You know, I thought just after I posted that he was probably best depicted in Target 2006. Totally different to cartoon Jazz, which is pretty much the only characterisation he's had. If it is McCarthy, I doubt his research will be much farther reaching than his Season 1 boxset :cry:

Yaya
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 3374
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:58 am
Location: Florida, USA

Post by Yaya » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Hound wrote:However, I thought Mcarthy wrote Jazz fairly well in the last AHM. It might work.


For me, that was the coolest Jazz has ever been.

Strange though. For a character that gets so much fan love, I can't really recall much characterization for him in any of the previous comic runs. I would almost say he's been underused.
"But the Costa story featuring Starscream? Fantastic! This guy is "The One", I just know it, just from these few pages. "--Yaya, who is never wrong.

Hound
Insane Decepticon Commander
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:00 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by Hound » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:37 pm

Yaya wrote:
Hound wrote:However, I thought Mcarthy wrote Jazz fairly well in the last AHM. It might work.


For me, that was the coolest Jazz has ever been.

Strange though. For a character that gets so much fan love, I can't really recall much characterization for him in any of the previous comic runs. I would almost say he's been underused.


I think it's purely cartoon based love. He had a recognisable voice actor, he changed into a cool vehicle. He had fun context sensitive gadgets such as grappling lines or boom boxes that could be used in 1 episode and forgotten in another.

For me, the appeal of Jazz is potential. This is the guy who is supposed to be Prime's second in command, I want to see why that is.
Image

User avatar
BB Shockwave
Insane Decepticon Commander
Posts: 1877
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Hungary, Budapest
Contact:

Post by BB Shockwave » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:23 pm

I think Jazz has been pretty consistently pictured as the 'cool' guy in the Comics. Sure enough he was never shown to be as high-ranked as Prowl but he was at least at 'Squad leader' status. And has often been the voice of reason (think matrix quest) in the team.

I agree that he just doesn't have any big moments... though the same could be said of Ironhide. Before IDW's 'ion' run I simply couldn't care about him either. I think Jazz had some nice characterization in Furman's run of IDW.

And, I must say I think it's a Simon comic. That's Razorclaw on the cover, in Cybertronian form. If this was a Shane comic, Razorclaw would be in lion form without a feasible explanation... :)
Image

"I've come to believe you are working for the enemy, Vervain. There is no other explanation... for your idiocy." (General Woundwort)

stranger
Got turned into the Spacebridge
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:08 am

Post by stranger » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:59 pm

BB Shockwave wrote:
And, I must say I think it's a Simon comic. That's Razorclaw on the cover, in Cybertronian form. If this was a Shane comic, Razorclaw would be in lion form without a feasible explanation... :)


I thought about this earlier, the longer the silence goes on the more I think it's neither. Outside bet on the guy whos been doing the movie-verse stuff? Wouldn't be a bad thing...

User avatar
Shanti418
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2632
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Post by Shanti418 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:50 pm

BB Shockwave wrote:I think Jazz has been pretty consistently pictured as the 'cool' guy in the Comics. Sure enough he was never shown to be as high-ranked as Prowl but he was at least at 'Squad leader' status. And has often been the voice of reason (think matrix quest) in the team.


In addition, he was also known for his serious take in "Man of Iron," as well as the "Oh, him too?" Classic Pretender.
Best First wrote:I thought we could just meander between making well thought out points, being needlessly immature, provocative and generalist, then veer into caring about constructive debate and make a few valid points, act civil for a bit, then lower the tone again, then act offended when we get called on it, then dictate what it is and isn't worth debating, reinterpret a few of my own posts through a less offensive lens, then jaunt down whatever other path our seemingly volatile mood took us in.

Yaya
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 3374
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:58 am
Location: Florida, USA

Post by Yaya » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:13 pm

Writers for Spotlight:Jazz announced.

It's the creators of the Mosaic series, Richter and Beachcomber at the IDW site.

Taking a chance, but then, that's what I like about IDW. They take chances.
"But the Costa story featuring Starscream? Fantastic! This guy is "The One", I just know it, just from these few pages. "--Yaya, who is never wrong.

User avatar
sprunkner
Over Pompous Autobot Commander
Posts: 2229
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Bellingham, WA

Post by sprunkner » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 pm

this should be interesting.
Image

User avatar
Best First
King of the, er, Kingdom.
Posts: 9750
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:00 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Post by Best First » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:08 am

Hmm. Fair play i guess.
Image

User avatar
Metal Vendetta
Big Honking Planet Eater
Posts: 4950
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Lahndan, innit

Post by Metal Vendetta » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:59 am

I would have waited a ******* eternity for this!!!!
Impactor returns 2.0, 28th January 2010

Post Reply